Thursday, May 16, 2013

Interview with Joshua Drost

Joshua Drost - Age 21 - Brother's good friend

Josh started playing football since he was in grade school, and loves the game almost more than life itself. He was devastated when he found out that he would not be able to play football again without risking serious brain injury.Football was everything to Josh and he had struggled with Post-Concussion Syndrome just like me. In his Junior year of high-school, Josh sustained 3 concussions in one year, raising his life total to 7.

Me "When and where was your first concussion?"

Josh: "It was in 4th grade when I was playing for the Clairemont Hawks. And I believe it was at the Junior Seau Complex I can't remember. (Laughter) I guess that isn't a good sign."

Me: " How severe was it?"

Josh: "It wasn't that bad. I didn't lose consciousness or anything."

Me: "What do you think caused you to get so many concussions?"

Josh: "Honestly, a combination of things. First off is form. I always had my head down when I tackled because that was what felt natural but looking back I would have probably avoided most of them. Second is just the style in which I played. I always gave it my all and tried harder then the next kid. But i think the Third reason is just simply some bad luck."

Me: "What were some of the difficulties you faced when dealing with Post-Concussion Syndrome?"

Josh: " My memory isn't as good as it used to be, sensitivity to light, headaches obviously, an almost drowsiness, and a lot of mood swings mental breakdowns."

Me: "How hard was it to walk away from the game you loved the most?"

Josh: " One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But I know it is for my own health so I can rest easy. It just took me a couple years to grasp my head around it."

Josh had been striving for athletic scholarships until his concussions finally caught up to him in high school. His life would be changed forever. When I interviewed Josh he had a aura of peace, (in his decision to give football up), about him that I did not see for a long time. The hardest battle to fight in the war on concussions is the pride of the athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment